Sunday, March 20, 2011

Birth Story *more for my own purposes*

So I want to document my birth story so I dont forget anything. If its too graphic you can skip this post!

So I was getting induced on March 15th. The hospital told me to call at 6 am to see what time to come in. So I woke up early and called and they said come at 7:15. I packed the night before so I had an hour and 15 min to hang out. I was too excited to go back to sleep. So I decided to take a nice calming bath before I headed out. After that I went out to the kitchen to find my mom to take me to the hospital. I hadn't eaten since the night before at Chili's for my birthday dinner with my family. (After dinner my dad and brother Richie gave me a blessing that things may go smooth for the next day) ANYWAY, so me and mom got in the car and headed to St. Marks. we were a little bit late and showed up at about 7:30. I showed up and registered. And they sent me down to room 5 and told me to change and get in bed. At this time it was about 8:30. I was getting very excited.
So I changed into the hospital gown and in came the nurse. So sweet. Her name was Christy (I think) and she was just getting my background and then she was starting my IV and I flinched and blew a vein. That really hurt! SO we had to do it again in the other arm, and I didnt flinch! (I have a HUGE fear of needles and IV's and giving blood and the like.. so this was big for me) so she got my IV started and started the Pitocin drip and I was told to relax and just hang out. So me and my mom just sat there and napped, I was able to speak a bit with Adam and I was told it would be a long night. So I told him to get some sleep and we would text him a bit.
About noon or so Rachel my sister showed up with my nephews Taylor and Chandler. Taylor wanted to stay to see the baby come out of my tummy.. yikes. We told him you can only see that when you are a dad. So my mom and Rach and the boys went across the street to get some McDonalds (I still couldnt eat... I was starving tho.)
At about 1 my Dr (Dr Roth who is seriously AMAZING) came and checked me and and broke my water. My mom was still with Rach, and I was frantically texting her to get back. I thought the breaking of the water would hurt so much more. It just felt like a lot of really warm water. I was dilated to a 4+.. I was hoping for more since I felt like I had been there forever. And I went in dilated to a 3. so I had only dilated 1 CM... I was sad. So Rachel took her boys to her sister in laws house and my mom came back to be with me. And during this time I decided to get my epidural. So the anesthesiologist came and prepped my back. She told me you might feel a small sting down your leg. SHE LIED. It felt like someone had hit my reflex in my knee so hard and hit a funny bone in my leg from my hip to my big toe. It actually made my leg flip out and kick my mom. It surprised me and the nurses. They got really worried because then I started to cry. The pain was picking up, I was getting and epidural and something just happened to my leg! Finally she got the epidural in and was advising me if I needed more pain meds, just push the pump and more will flow into my back.
So at first is was working really well. I could feel my right leg below my knee and from my knee to my hip was just tingly. But my whole left side was completely numb. I told my nurse and she rolled me on my side so I would get more flow to my right side.... not working. And they had really turned up the pitocin drip and the pain was excruciating. So we called the anesthesiologist and he came and put a shot of something stronger in my back. And that worked really well. I was able to play some games with my sisters and by this time Luke (my photographer) showed up, and I was like I can do this. Well an hour later I was in horrible pain.. the shot of the good stuff wore off and I was freaking out. it was dinner time and family was in and out with food and I was starving and in pain... it was about 630 pm.
My Dr came back and checked me and I was a good 6 he said. He was worried because I wasnt dilating like he thought I would or should. He was looking at the baby's heart monitor and her heart rate was dropping, and then they found out I was starting to get a temperature and getting sick. I think it was because the pain was so great that was my body's way of handling it. It was really nerve wracking to watch my baby's heart beat go down. Then pretty soon it was shift change, and I got the most awesome nurse Andrea. And she was doing all she could to calm me down. My epidural wore completely off and it was shift change and I had no epidural running through me. So I was freaking out a little bit I was yelling for my dad to find the anesthesiologist really fast. He finally came in and and gave me a stronger shot of epidural medicine. He told me if this didnt work then he would have to re do my epidural. I was like oh no, I can't do that again. But something has to be done because this pain is so bad. I felt really good after he gave me shot of the stronger stuff, and I was able to talk and be ok for a min. Then the Dr came in and checked me again about 8 pm and I was finally a 9 +. And as he was checking me, he was saying that the baby was coming out with her head sideways. It wasnt the usual spot for crowning. So he had to reach up there and move her around and get her straight. Then he said it was ok for me to start pushing. It was 830 pm. At this time he said that I had been in labor so long that if we didnt get the baby out this way, I was headed for an emergency C-section. And since my epidural wasnt working I would have to be put under general anesthesia.. be knocked completely out. So he left and Rachel got on one side and my mom on the other and the nurse directing and I started to push. I was doing really well until, the stronger epidural wore off. I was trying to push through the pain but it was distracting me. That and the stupid blood pressure cuff. It was set to go off every 3 mins. It was driving me absolutely nuts. So I pushed for a good hour. Then the Dr came in and said this is it. I am getting the vacuum and if it doesnt work, if the baby pulls back a little then we are going for a C section. So he attached the vacuum and was literally pulling as I was pushing and my mom was pushing on my stomach and the nurse was telling me what a great job I was doing. My mom was so helpful the whole time, she had a hold of my leg and pushing on my stomach and doing as much work as I was. RAchel was texting with Adam telling him I was pushing and to hurry and get to the phone center. And Angie was video taping the whole thing for Adam when he gets home. And poor Luke my photographer was smashed in a corner up by my head. It was all going fast. They had to call NICU in because it wasnt a smooth delivery. And pretty soon after a few pushes her head came out. And then her whole body came out. And the first words out of my mouth were I feel so much better! Then I realized she wasnt crying or making a peep. No one was saying anything. Then I hear a small noise and my mom cuts the cord and they rush her to the NICU nurses. They started rubbing her and making her cry more and taking her measurements. But she was finally out.
So it was a rough delivery but when she finally did arrive then she was so good. She scored an 8 on her apgar test and then a 9 after 5 mins. So she passed. And then I was able to hold my little baby. We had Adam on Skype by this time and his mom was holding her and I told him to go ahead and tell the name we had picked out. Hadley Michelle Green. Born 9:59 pm and weighed 7 pounds 13 ounces, 20 inches long, and head diamater was 36 cm around. She is absolutely perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment